Uzhhorod is the administrative center of Zakarpattia with a population of 120,000 people. The city was founded over a thousand years ago and is rich in culture and history. It rests in the southwest corner of Ukraine where Slovakia, Hungary, Romania
The team in Uzhhorod works in a variety of ways.
- They have brought 14 local churches and 21 local organizations together to help the oppressed people of Uzhgorod.
- They work with Romani churches to improve the living conditions within the camps by providing clean drinking water, improved school classrooms, access to vital medicine, food supplements for the elderly, improved care at the local polyclinic, garbage removal, etc.
- They assist Romani young people to complete their secondary education and then pursue their life dreams with training and access to higher education. They give them hope to escape from the confines of the squalid camps they are imprisoned within.
- They build relationships with local and international university students and bring them closer to Christ. They lead discipleship groups and prepare international students to become leaders back in their own countries when they return.
- They lead summer camps for children at risk including orphans, refugees, and children from single-parent homes.
- They visit and love the many orphans around Uzhgorod and organize volunteers to ensure that abandoned babies are held every day.
- They work with the government pilot program to eradicate the need for orphanages, and in the interim train local Christians to mentor these orphans.