Bagmati Rural Municipality (RM) of Makawanpur district, lies in the eastern area of province 3, Nepal. Bagmati RM is located 60 kilometres east from the district headquarters and takes around 3 hours to reach by vehicle and 6 hours from the capital city Kathmandu. In this community live oppressed ethnic groups such as Dewas Rai, Tamang, Magar, Majhi and Dalits. Our chosen communities lie within wards number 1,2 and 3 where many people are poor and marginalized and socially, culturally, economically and structurally isolated from both government and non-government services.
There are many issues facing these communities including ethnic conflict, a high prevalence of gender and domestic violence, a lack of easy access and information to vaccination centres and health posts, poor maternal care, limited access to quality water and poor sanitation, and a poor education system.
Due to COVID, the local economy has collapsed and the resources of local government are consumed in combatting the disease across the country. So, considering this situation there is a need for intervention by development organizations.
- Enhance and equip local church leaders in order to build the capacity of holistic ministry.
- Enhance skills and knowledge of the community for better employment opportunities and entrepreneurship development for increasing their standard of living.
- Build the capacity of the community for equitable access to rights and entitlements
- Consider and incorporate all relevant indigenous local knowledge and skills
- Promote social harmony and peace