Bagmati, Nepal has many rural communities. In our chosen community live oppressed ethnic groups such as Dewas Rai, Tamang, Magar, Majhi and Dalits. These peoples are poor and marginalized and socially, culturally, economically and structurally isolated from both government and non-government services.
There are many issues facing this community including ethnic conflict, a high prevalence of gender and domestic violence, a lack of easy access and information to vaccination centers and health posts, poor maternal care, limited access to quality water and poor sanitation, and a poor education system.
A partnership agreement has been developed with a local Christian organization. Their Mission Inspired by God's love and His word is to advocate and build capacity among the poor and marginalized in coordination with the local Christian community and others for the purpose of transforming society.
Due to COVID, the local economy has collapsed and the resources of local government are consumed in combatting the disease across the country. So, considering this situation there is a need for intervention by development organizations.
There is a good presence of local churches in the proposed project area and they will be our potential faith community partners for the holistic change of the community. Similarly, our local partner will coordinate with local clubs, local government in a collaborative effort. We want to:
- Enhance and equip local church leaders in order to build the capacity of holistic ministry.
- Enhance skills and knowledge of the community for better employment opportunities and entrepreneurship development for increasing their standard of living.
- Build the capacity of the community for equitable access to rights and entitlements
- Consider and incorporate all relevant indigenous local knowledge and skills
- Promote social harmony and peace